Sunday, December 22, 2013

Festive Holiday Non-Alcoholic Drink: "Hot Apple Pie"

Quite by accident, we discovered by twisting the traditional "Hot Buttered Almost Rum" recipe, we ended up with a non-alcoholic drink that tastes exactly like a slice of homemade apple pie.
It's a great alternative to the ever-present hot chocolate and spiced apple cider.
 
I didn't have all the same ingredients on-hand as the original recipe, so like so many of us, I made do with what I had.

 
This is the revised recipe:

  • About 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4   cup (1/4 stick) butter, room temperature
  • 1  stick cinnamon
  • 1 whole nutmeg
  • 6 whole cloves
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • Pinch salt
  • About 3 cups boiling water
Simmer all the ingredient together over a low heat for about 15 minutes. Turn off the fire.
Pour the resulting liquid into a cup. Whatever liquid I had, I measured apple juice to be about half of it, and then poured it into the same cup. The ratio was about 2-1 liquid to apple juice. Serve warm.
My daughter, my son and my husband and I all agreed it tasted like a slice of apple pie. I don't even like apple pie (that much) and I thought it was yummy.
Delicious variations: top with whipped cream or float a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it, for "Hot Apple Pie A La Mode". 
Enjoy!
 


No comments: