Friday, August 7, 2015

Meatless Mondays

Foregoing meat, - of any kind -periodically, can be very healthy.  It's also cost effective.
Today's meatless Monday meal was outstanding.


  • Cous Cous with Black Eyed Peas - better than I thought it would be!
  • Roasted beet and fresh papaya salad, dressed with Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil.
  • Spaghetti squash with Tomato Basil Pesto, with grape tomatoes and mozzarella.

There were splashes of broth, salt, pepper, paprika and I think I added some butter to the cous cous.

Yummy and then this bird sang to me: cheap, cheap, cheap!

I liked the alliteration of Meatless Monday but it also forced me to get a little more creative with meatless dishes... which are also generally inexpensive.

Please include beans, cheeses, nuts or other protein sources into the meal you plan. If you don't, you'll be cheating yourself out of very necessary proteins and you'll end up feeling hungry afterwards. Meatless does not have to mean you are depriving yourself or your body.

Interestingly, beans and rice together make a perfect protein. I learned this from a nutritionist turned teacher many years ago and I have never forgotten it.

Here are some other meatless, main dish ideas for you which are less common than say, cheese pizza or bean burritos - which are still good.
  • Lentils with Farro or Orzo pasta
  • Chili beans with corn chips
  • Pasta with butter, garlic and spring vegetables like Asparagus, Snap Peas, Carrots (sliced super thin so that they cook evenly with the other veggies - or you can cook them separately).
  • Grilled Cheese Sandwiches and Tomato Soup
  • Italian Bread Soup
  • Stuffed Zucchini with Lentils and Onions
Bear in mind I never said all meatless food was super healthy (note the grilled cheese sandwich - very fatty). I also don't recommend you stuff yourself at any meal. So it's all about balance.


No comments: